XIPHOS’ TOP 10 MOVIES OF THE DECADE
Here’s my list I know missed some movies and when I read other peoples list I’ll be doing the full on Homer Simpson “D’OH” with a head slap.
1. Equilibrium (2002): Has Tetragrammaton Clerics and the Gun Kata that makes it the best movie of any decade. Plus it had swords.
2. Zodiac (2007) this movie is by far David Fincher’s best most complete movie and he was able to take a horribly written BS filled book and make an engaging visually engrossing movie is a testament to Fincher’s skill as a movie maker. Because of Zodiac I forgave Fincher for his previous OK to mediocre fan boy over hyped work.
3. Dogtown & Z-Boys (2001) I’m not a big documentary guy and usually anything with Sean Penn in it makes me want to kill babies because I flat out hate that loud mouth, hypocritical, cocksucker but this doc is fantastic. Captures a time and place perfectly.
4. Master & Commander (2003) Great series of books, top notch translation to film excellent battle scenes and a beautiful looking movie, That fat Aussie fellow with anger control issues and the slim, tall, gay, foppish English dandy were excellent, what’s not to like?
5. Rocky Balboa (2007) RB is the movie that people should be praising Stallone for and not that Rambo nonsense. RB is equally as good as the original Rocky and way better than any of the sequels.
6. About a Boy (2002) if you don’t like this movie you don’t have a heart and you probably kill puppies for fun. Even though it has the cock head Hugh Grant in it the movie is still excellent.
7. High Fidelity (2000) the rare male chick flick that works and it rocks. Jack Black is actually good in this, no kidding!
8. Bad Santa (2003) all time favorite family holiday classic. Lauren Graham, Billy Bob, John Ritter (RIP) Bernie Mack (RIP) the black midget Thurman Merman! It’s just a great time and for me this movie and a Christmas Story ARE what makes the stupidly named “holiday season”
9. There Will Be Blood (2007) Tour De force and it drank my milkshake all up.
10. The Hammer (2007) has everything its funny, engaging, has a gentle love story, a redemption arc, boxing and the movie has heart to spare and then some.
In no particular order:
Friday Night Lights, Go, American Psycho, Shaun of the Dead, Breach, Some Kind of Monster, Hollywoodland, 3:10 to Yuma, No Country for Old Men, The Mist.